Alcohol drinking is not a poison to human. It has nothing negative to offer the body, but provided it is consumed responsibly. To consume alcohol responsibly, you must know about some facts that will make you enjoy alcohol consumption without being in trouble. Some people believed that it is safe to drink as much as they want as long as they are not drunk. This is a mis-conception. Alcohol consumption may be harmful while you are not still drunk.
For you to drink and remain healthy, you must not go beyond 3 to 4 pints for men and 2 to 3 pints for women daily which is about 175ml of glass. Anytime you consume beyond this limit, but may not drunk, it is still not healthy. It can be harmful to your health. Though, many people drink much far beyond the recommended limit but still remain physically normal, but as long as they have top it up (more beyond limit), it is no more safe.
There is something called binge drinking. This may be when you drink for three to four days constantly, drinking to the point where you don’t remember anything, drinking more than 8 units of alcohol – or about three pints of strong beer. For women, it’s drinking more than 6 units of alcohol, equivalent to two large glasses of wine. Binge drinking is common in males, especially during adolescence. Most binge drinkers are unaware of the risks associated with binge drinking. Many people enjoy a drink without any problems. But binge drinking or drinking heavily over longer periods of time can have very serious consequences. Alcohol misuse not only harms the individual but is damaging to relationships and society in general in terms of violence and crime, accidents and drink driving.
What Are The Effects of Binge Drink
- Sickness or Death
- Loss of Memory
Why Do People Like Binge Drink?
- Curiosity: They want to know how people feel when drink alcohol
- Peer Press: They want to belong
- Way of Life: They see it as a way of life and enjoyment
- Problem Solving: When some are in problem, alcohol seems to them as the right solution
- Environmental Factor
Tips for managing your drinking
Manage your alcohol consumption and enjoy it safely by applying the following tips.
- Eat before or while drinking, and avoid salty snacks, which make you thirsty.
- Be assertive – don’t be pressured into drinking more than you want or intend to.
- Know your limits and stick to them.
- Stay busy – don’t just sit and drink. Dance or have a game if you’re at a pub.
- Try not to confuse large measures of alcohol with standard measures, eg a glass of wine served at a party or at home may be larger than the standard 125ml.
- Keep track of your drinks and don’t let people top up your drink until it’s finished.
- Try alternating alcoholic drinks with water or other non-alcoholic drinks. Add plenty of mixer to your drinks to make them last longer.
- Avoid rounds, ‘shouts’ and kitties – drink to your own pace, not someone else’s.
- Drink slowly – take sips not gulps.